Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day y'all! I love this day! It is just another opportunity for you to tell the most important people in your life that you love them! I mean, I think you should tell them EVERY day, but Valentine's Day is a good reminder!

So, a lot of people in the blogging world have been doing this questionnaire, so I thought I'd try it out!

1. How long have you and your significant other been together?

We started dating in July/August of 2005, but broke up about a month later, then got back together December 20th of that yera and have been together ever since.

2. How did you meet? {What's your "love" story?}

Johnny boy grew up with my cousin, Clay. They went to school together, played baseball together, etc. I would come visit my dad during the summers and would follow them around hang out with them (ha!) and watch them play baseball. One year when my family and Clay's family were at the beach, John John called Clay and asked us to come hang out at his beach condo. That night we walked on the beach, talked forEVER and just really hit it off! Unfortunately, I went back to Texas the next day so we didn't really have time to get acquainted. We tried the whole "long distance dating" thing for about a month, but it was my senior year of high school and his freshman year of college, so needless to say, we broke up. I came back to visit that Christmas and we rekindled things and manged to stay together for the last semester of my senior year. I surprised everyone when I announced I was moving to Georgia to attend college and give this long distance relationship a real shot! Over 6 years later, we are still together and now married! Who would'a thunk it?!

3. If married, how long have you been married?

We got married on October 22, 2011 - so almost 4 months!

4. If you are married, where did you get married? Big or small wedding?

We got married at Vienna First Baptist Church in the small town of Vienna. It was a medium sized wedding, I guess, with about 200 guests? It was the best, most FUN day of my life! Just exactly how we planned!

5. Do you have any nick-names that you call one another? Do share!

He calls me Buckwheat..ugh I honestly don't remember where that came from, but for some reason that's his "endearing" term for me! And I call him Johnny, JJ, Jonivan, etc. But mostly Johnny!

6. Name 3 things you love most about your honey.

I love how he makes me laugh! Laughter is so important to me in any relationship and he definitely take sthe cake on that one! I love watching his relationship with God grow and flourish. I love that he loves me unconditionally.

7. Tell us how he proposed?

Oh Lord. Okay, so every year at Thanksgiving, we go over to one of our friends' (basically family)'s house for the "Annual Football Game". All the boys get out in the yard and run around like NFL players, while the dogs chase after them and bark, and the ladies sit on the porch watching and talking. I was turned talking to one of my friends, when suddenly I turned back to watch the game and there he was down on one knee. He asked me to marry him and all I could say was "are you for real right now?! Is this serious?!" We had been talking about getting engaged for almost a year at that point, but when it happened I was so shocked/surprised that it just didn't seem real to me! Definitely not the romantic mushy gushy story some people tell, but it was very "John John" and very "us"!

8. Is he a flowers and teddy bear kind of guy for v-day, or strawberries, champagne, and rose petals?

He's usually not either type. Now, the first year we dated, he sent me a dozen roses for my birthday and then again for Valentine's Day, but since then it's kind of died off, which is okay with me. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE flowers, but I juts think they are so overpriced, especially on special occasions...when they're going to die anyways. But, he did shock me last year and sent me flowers at work on Valentine's Day. I would rather it be like that... a surprise that you don't see coming, rather than something you expect every year and don't really appreciate.

9. Are you a sunset dinner on the beach kind of girl, or pop a movie in and relax on the couch?

Although I love the beach, let's be real... who wants to sit in sand while they eat? Not me.. I am all about watching a movie at home while enjoying one of Johnny's grilled steaks.

10. Tell us one thing you'd like to do with your significant other one day. If you could do anything? Go anywhere?

We have both always wanted to go to Italy. I really want to see the Vatican and eat authentic Italian food. Not really sure how we will make this happen though. He doesn't like to fly and I REFUSE to go by boat (it "only" takes a month to get there, according to some research he did! H to the no!)

11. Tell us what you plan on doing this Valentine's Day.

Usually, we cook a nice dinner at home and just hang out, so that we can skip out on all the hussle and bussle of the V-day dinner crowds.. However, this year we are hoping this is our last V-day as "just us". it might not be, but we're hoping like heck it is! And because of that, we want to go out to a nice dinner and enjoy eachother's company. So, we're going to eat at the Olde Inn, a local steak and seafood place that is De-Lish! I'm SO excited!

12. Are you asking for anything this Valentine's Day?

Nah, we are keeping this V-day simple and low budget. Probably a couple sweet cards! :)

13. Give us one piece of advice of keeping a relationship strong and full of love.

Number one, keep God first and foremost in your relationship! I'll be honest and tell you that Johnny and I don't do a great job of that, but I know that I continuously pray that we will get better at it and that our relationship as a couple with God will grow stronger everyday!

Also, communication is KEY! The biggest problems we have stem from communication, or lack there of. Either because we don't understand what eachother is saying, or because one of us *eh em, JJ* doesn't "feel like" talking about it... just keep the lines of communication open! And don't dwell on things.. Once you've discussed the issue, move past it!

14. Show us a picture of what love means to you.

I hope he ALWAYS looks at me this way! This was our "first look" on our wedding day, and it was definitely the outcome I was hoping for. Everyone gets all caught up in trying to look "pretty" and "classic" or "modern chic"...whatever look that bride is working towards.. but my goal when planning what I would wear, how I would do my hair, etc. was not to impress anyone else, but this sweet boy right here. The man who stole my heart. And I think I accomplished that. I was so happy in this moment and it makes me so happy even just looking back on this memory. :)

Happy Valentine's Day! I hope your day is wonderful! 


xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment