Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Eating Healthy... or Whatever






So, like every other person on the planet (besides those naturally skinny freaks that "just can't seem to gain weight" --shut it!), I'm trying to make better choices when it comes to my diet..


I've tried all the fad diets, and none were the perfect fit for me. I've found that I do better when i'm not on a strict "can't eat that, eat only that" diet.. I have tried Weight Watchers before and it is a very good program. However, I don't want to pay the monthly fee for it, so I'm trying to semi-do it myself.



One of the main things that the Weight Watchers program promotes is making better choices about what you put into your mouth... and balancing those choices out. If you want to eat 3 double stuffed Oreos, go for it sista! But, you're going to have to balance that out by eating only celery sticks for supper.. I like this program, because if you want to splurge or if you just don't have any healthy options at a certain point in the day, you are okay.. you just have to compensate for that choice in the rest of your choices throughout the day.



So, last night for supper, I tried to make better choices, while still satisfying my hubby's taste for "meat and taters!" This was my menu...



Grilled Ribeye Steaks (marinated in Dale's..yum!)





Grilled Asparagus -



melt 1 tbsp butter in the pan (don't judge me for the butter.. I said I was trying to make better choices). Put fresh asparagus in, sprinkle some minced garlic & olive oil and cook for about 10 minutes or so until done.










Whiskey Glazed Carrots ** got this recipe from Pioneer Woman, and it was like SLAP YO MAMA good!! Def try it out!







Ranch Roasted Potatoes








Cut up about 10-12 red potatoes in quarters or more (sometimes if they're big potatoes, I'll cut the quarters in half) and put them in a bowl. Pour about 3 tbsp olive oil and one packet of Ranch powder. Put a lid on the bowl and shake, shake, shake! Make sure all potatoes are evenly covered with ranch/oil mixture. Put potatoes on greased cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Best thing you ever put in your mouth! It's not super duper healthy, but it's better than doing baked potatoes and putting butter, sour cream, cheese, and whatever other substance you put on baked potatoes. :) See, choices!



We also had a side salad, but I opted out of this since I would have eaten Jalapeno Ranch with it, and I was already cheating a little on the potatoes :) So, that was our meal.. here are some more pictures of my little silly display I did on the kitchen island.









Random question.. How do you display your meals? Does everyone sit at the table with all the food in the middle of the table and you dip out what you want, or do you set up a serving section in the kitchen and everyone makes their plate and then heads to the table? Just curious. My grandma does the middle of the table thing and I do the serving section in the kitchen thing.. probably because that's what my mom always did. :)



..and I know you're all wondering who my sous chef was..






Cute




Sweet, such a good helper





....aaaand she's done!


And of course I can't let you go without showing you "where the magic happens"!





So, that's what I've been up to... trying to eat better, and just make better choices all around. What dieting strategies are you using? Tips? Advice? Hope everyone is having a great week!



xoxo


1 comment:

  1. Weight Watchers is great and has helped alot of people. Ive been using the LoseIt app. It tracks every calorie. It tells you how many you have left for the day, etc. Ive been pretty successful with it. The key to losing weight is calorie in/calorie out. Ive heard that ALL my life and finally started obeying it in October. my goal is to start out my 40s in the best shape of my life.

    ReplyDelete